Utah Jazz scrimmaged today at Hill Air Force base. This was the first time I have seen the Jazz play uninterrupted 5 on 5 and these were my observations of their play.
- First of all the Jazz players, coaches and organizations seemed truly moved by being on the military base and being able to put on a special event for the military.
- There was passing, more passing and then more passing. Quin Snyder has always talked about obvious unselfishness and it was present in this performance by the Jazz. The passing was lead by Ricky Rubio. Rubio made numerous passes in the opening 8 minute quarter that I have not seen from a Jazz point guard or player in years.
- Quin Snyder said afterward they are trying to put Rubio in positions to use his creativity and decision-making. This is not necessarily going one on one, but instead in the natural flow of the offense letting Rubio make the key decision.
- A few occasions Rubio was making passes that his teammates never considered possible and in turn the passes weren’t completed and became turnovers. However, as they gain a better understanding of what he sees and what he is capable of it will get better and better.
- My favorite play from Rubio was very basic. On the previous two plays Rubio had run a high pick and roll with Rudy Gobert and made terrific passes to get Rudy the ball. Rudy is going to love Ricky. This time Ricky took the ball a little deeper and flattened the entire defense at which point he threw the ball back to the top to a wide open Joe Johnson. Rubio’s understanding of how to manipulate the floor was fabulous.
- The played much faster off misses and even fast off some makes. Rubio pushes the game forward and is always looking ahead. He had a nifty over the defense pass for a breakout layup to Ingles
- Donovan Mitchell scored the basketball. If the Jazz are in fact a team that struggles to score it is going to be hard to keep Mitchell off the floor. His decision making and his ability to stay under control will dictate his playing time. A great sign was when he got a pass from Joe Johnson at the angle left and looked as though he had every intention to shoot. The defenders closed quicker than he anticipated and he flaired the pass back to Joe Johnson in the left corner who was wide open. If Mitchell makes those decisions he gets a lot of time.
- Dante Exum was dominating driving to the rim in the 2nd half of the game when most of the main players were out of the game. Quin Snyder pointed out after the scrimmage that sometimes it is hard to tell how some of our guys are playing offensively because they run into Rudy in practice and there are only one or two defenders who can come close to Rudy. With Rudy out of the game, Dante was lightening quick getting by defenders and getting to the rim. Dante’s first step is elite. There aren’t many in the league that are at that level.
- Joe Johnson was Joe Johnson and that is all sorts of awesome
- Jazz started with Ricky Rubio, Rodney Hood, Joe Ingles, Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert
- Tony Bradley’s 2nd jump is a neat skill and his rebounding is already at NBA level.
- Thabo Sefolosha is much more offensive minded than I have seen of him in his career.
- Solid outing for the Jazz. Fun to see them play 5 on 5 in this setting.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022