SUMMARY: A hard fought possession by possession game goes the way of the Philadelphia 76ers in one the Jazz will wish they had back.
- The idea that the Jazz shot 4 of 22 from three, that they missed 16 free throws, trailed by 16 and still found a way to be in the game down to the final possessions is a tribute to the effort tonight. The Jazz really competed.
- The Sixers jumped out to a 18-4 lead tonight. The Jazz couldn’t get stops in the first quarter. The Sixers shot 13 of 15 from the field and 5 of 6 from three point range in the quarter. The Jazz only got 6 stops the whole quarter and allowed 38 points.
- The Jazz defense got better as the night went on. They held the Sixers to 8 of 24 and 0 for 5 from three in the 2nd In the third the Sixers scored 32 points with a more potent offensive quarter. The Jazz clamped back down to open the 4th quarter until they took a 5 point lead.
- The Jazz lead the game 95-90 with 8:35 left. A quick 6-0 run by the Sixers gave them the lead at 96-95. Then Embiid missed a free throw and as Ricky Rubio was coming up the front court Embiid knocked it away from him and it lead to a Butler dunk. Huge swing from having a change to re-gain the lead to down 3.
- The Jazz were able to re-gain the lead after Donovan hit score on 3 straight possessions and the Jazz were back up 3 with 3:50 left. The teams traded baskets until Embiid hit a three from the corner to tie the game at 103. We were tied at 105 and 107.
- Ricky Rubio got a steal and Jae Crowder made a great play hustling after Rubio’s missed layup to make it a 107-105 lead. Unfortunately, Rubio tried for the same steal again and fouled Redick at 30 feet away from the basket putting the 90% free throw shooter on the line for 2 and we were tied at 107.
- After a Donovan Mitchell miss, then the Sixers ran a cool play with JJ Redick and Ben Simmons. Simmons was dribbling at the top and Redick came to the ball when Rubio jumped top side to block Redick he just push Rubio into the back of Crowder allowing Simmons to drive straight to the basket. Jazz ran a nice play to get Ingles a wide open three but the pass back to him didn’t have the muster and it broke Joe’s rhythm and he airballed the three
- With the score 109-107 the Jazz miscommunicated and Jimmy Butler got a cut for a layup and the game.
- Jazz left 16 missed free throws on the table
- Jazz have not made a corner 3 in two games.
- Dante Exum had some really nice sequences tonight. He beat Markelle Fultz and created plays a the basket.
- Jae Crowder is in a shooting blip 9 of his last 46 from the field.
- Donovan Mitchell is beat up and 6 of his last 37 from three. Sixers had Jimmy Butler guard Donovan Mitchell down the stretch.
- Jazz defense has not been forcing turnovers and they forced 17 tonight.
- I left unimpressed by the Sixers.
- The Jazz shot an incredible 47% of their shots at the rim and only 21% of their shots as threes. This is a big increase in mid range shots. They made 14 of 30 mid range shots.
- The Jazz did a super job of keeping the Sixers in the half court.
- Moreover, Quin wanted the Jazz to play with more force offensively and they pushed off misses far better than they have all season
- The Jazz really battled. Down the stretch they made some mistakes that really hurt. Not making shots makes it really hard to win these games.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story