EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Another superstar wing shoots down the Jazz
SUMMARY: Another wing player has a career day against the Jazz and the Raptors beat the Jazz 122-116.
• Kawhi Leonard was unreal. He dropped 19 points in the 3rd quarter without missing a shot and added another 11 points in the 4th quarter. He finished with a career high 45 points on 16 of 22 shooting and did it without a 3 pointer. Leonard was an amazing 8 for 8 in the restricted area. He wrapped shots around Rudy Gobert like no one in the league is able to do. He stretched out for reverse layups that seemed impossible. His reach is so long that he gets right under the rim, stops and then reaches out for a reverse layup that is impossible to reach for a shot blocker.
• This is the third time the Jazz have run into a hot wing player. James Harden went off in Houston, Paul George was unstoppable in Salt Lake and tonight Kawhi Leonard was too much to handle. These are three best scorers in the NBA right now and the Jazz don’t have an individual defender to handle them. The Jazz are a scheme based defensive team and when these guys go one on one it is something the Jazz defense doesn’t deal with as well. Then when they pick and roll and go at Gobert there are very few players who are capable to make the plays those three players made in these games.
• The impact is the Jazz had a bad defensive night. The Jazz defensive rating was a 122. In 9 of the previous 10 games the Jazz had held their opponent under 100 points per 100 possessions and the Raptors had been under 100 in 6 of the previous 7 but their offensive struggles ended tonight. Leonard and Pascal Siakam were just too much for the Jazz to handle.
• Jae Crowder was brilliant tonight. He had a career high 30 points. Coincidentally, Crowder’s career high at Marquette was 29 points on January 1st as well.
• The Jazz were +14 with Crowder on the floor tonight despite losing by 6.
• Derrick Favors was a beast. He had 21 points and 9 rebounds. He was great on offensive glass and was having a huge impact on the game. Strangely, he was -13 tonight. Jazz starters tonight were outscored 13-9 in the first quarter and then got outscored 22-8 in the 3rd quarter. For the game the Favors and Gobert combination was outscored 35-17. This is hard to overcome. The Jazz outscored the Raptors by 12 the rest of the game.
• Ricky Rubio had a tough night tonight. He went 0 for in the first half and then finished 6 of 17. Donovan Mitchell was 7 of 23, he was 2 of 8 from three and had 3 assists and 3 free throws. The guard line has to be better shooting for the Jazz to win games. Somehow the Jazz still only fell by 6 and had a good offensive game with a 116 despite the shooting 13 of 40 from the starting back court.
• Jazz lead by 2 at the half.
• Add onto the Joe Ingles was just 0 for 5. The first time this year he didn’t have a field goal since late last year.
• Jazz defense didn’t have an impact and had a poor night. Leonard was unreal. The Jazz backcourt and Ingles have bad shooting nights and the Jazz were in the game in the 4th quarter needed one or two plays and the game would have been a one possession night.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022