SUMMARY: As expected the Utah Jazz were the superior team in a pre-season match-up with the Sydney Kings rolling to a harmless win.
- Huge focus by the Jazz to increase tempo after misses. The Jazz did this early in the game and ran away to a big lead. However, they were unable to sustain that for the entire night and that is what is so hard about trying to be a running team is maintaining that level of energy for the entire night.
- The coaching staff wanted to make sure the Jazz never let the Kings get comfortable. They did this perfectly in the 1st quarter and took a commanding lead. However, in the 2nd quarter the Kings got more comfortable and outscored the Jazz in the 2nd The game got down to 9 points in the 3rd quarter before the Jazz took control.
- The Jazz played vertically at the rim all night. They were playing about the box all night. Ricky Rubio and Joe Ingles were feeding Rudy Gobert all night. It will be interesting to see against an NBA team with bigger guys if the Jazz are able to do the same thing.
- Dante Exum played tenacious defense in the 2nd half of the game and played with great juice.
- Alec Burks 4th quarter was super exciting. He unofficially had 5 assists in the quarter. More importantly, he played the game a step ahead. He was seeing plays as they happened or even before they happened. His weakness in the past has been and he has self-admitted this, that he didn’t know where he was going so none of his teammates knew where he was going. Tonight, it was against lesser talent, but he was really sharp and played ahead of the game.
- Rodney Hood for 18 points to lead the Jazz on 7 of 10 shooting. Mitchell had 11 off the bench on 4 of 8 shooting along with 3 assists.
- Rudy Gobert was dominant. He is so much longer than anyone else on the floor and it was something Sydney couldn’t handle, but nor can much of the NBA. He had 15 points and 10 rebounds in 28 minutes.
- Jazz played Derrick Favors and Rudy Gobert to start the 1st and 3rd Otherwise, the Jazz played Joe Johnson and Jonas Jerebko as the stretch 4 for most of the night. It will be really interesting to watch how the Jazz use their bigs and how much Favors and Gobert play together. Favors was the other center when Gobert was on the bench for much of the night.
- Donovan Mitchell was quiet in the 1st In the 2nd half he had some really nice plays. He went on a one on one drive and right when it looked like he going to force a shot he found Epke Udoh wide open for a dunk. Then the next play he spaced perfectly and hit a catch and shoot 3.
- Ricky Rubio is such a good passer the Jazz players are getting balls in places they never imagined. Both Favors and Gobert made great passes to the corner on mid rolls. This is a must because Rubio is going to get them the ball on the roll and if the defense shifts they have to be able to adjust and make that pass to the corner.
- The Sydney Kings were great fun. Andrew Gaze, the head coach, had a wonderful attitude and fun pre-game press conference. It was interesting to hear them talk about the different ball and the impact it had on their practices. Tom Garlepp joined us for our pre-game show and was a kick as well.
- The Kings gave the Jazz exactly what the Jazz needed. The Kings put up resistance and forced the Jazz to play the game correctly. They had enough talent to push the Jazz and the Jazz got a lot of tape they can learn from in game #1.
Previewing Utah Jazz v. Denver Nuggets and Crossover with Adam Mares plus road to 55 wins
Utah Jazz match up with the Denver Nuggets tonight in an NBA Northwest Division battle. Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert renew the rivalry against Nikola Jokic and Michael Porter Jr.
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz, Now live each morning on You Tube
Locke will break down the Nuggets loss last night v. the Cleveland Cavaliers and where they are heading in the early part of the season. Plus, the keys to the match-up tonight v. the Jazz in Utah.
Then Locke looks at what it will take for the Utah Jazz to win 55 games in the Western Conference this season. The Road to 55 and what has to happen for the Jazz.
In the final segment, Locke is joined by Adam Mares of Locked On Nuggets to breakdown where each team stands and look ahead to the Tuesday night tilt.
Strong win in Sacramento, defense carried and running late, Whiteside minutes
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz,
Now live each morning on You Tube
On Today’s episode Locke discusses a strong win in Sacramento against a feisty Kings team. Those wins are bigger than you think and the Jazz just got a tough one. The Utah Jazz defense was the key early and then they ran late which was a change from how they finished last year at times.
The show will also look at Hassan Whiteside’s minutes and the performance of Trent Forrest in the 2nd half as well as the big guns Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert.
Finally, Locke takes a look at an early trends around the NBA and what is different about the 2021-22 season.
POSTCAST = Locke and Boone breakdown how Jazz held of the swords of the Kings
Utah Jazz broadcast team David Locke and Ron Boone breakdown the Jazz tenacious win over the motivated and energetic Sacramento Kings
- Previewing Utah Jazz v. Denver Nuggets and Crossover with Adam Mares plus road to 55 wins October 26, 2021
- Strong win in Sacramento, defense carried and running late, Whiteside minutes October 25, 2021
- POSTCAST = Locke and Boone breakdown how Jazz held of the swords of the Kings October 23, 2021
- Previewing Kings, Somone is going off for 30, how Bojan thrives and Top 75 October 22, 2021
- Locke Game Thoughts – Jazz beat Thunder in opener October 21, 2021
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Quin Snyder builds trust with the why, Mike Conley and Jared Butler are intertwined and worst draft class ever
Utah Jazz6 days ago
Utah Jazz Opening night, 3 concerns after watching opening night, Mike Conley ready to thrive
Utah Jazz5 days ago
Locke Game Thoughts – Jazz beat Thunder in opener
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
Rudy gives back, new color branding, pick and roll deep dive