EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: For the 18th time in franchise history, the first time since 2010 and for the first time in Quin Snyder’s career the Utah Jazz have won 8 straight games.
- The Jazz outscored the Hornets 22-17 to separate from the Hornets. The Jazz were in control almost all game, but the Hornets would never fade. This is how the Hornets have been all season, they are an average offensive team and an above average defensive team and yet they are 9 games under .500. This game followed the script of their season tonight.
- Joe Ingles was brilliant and tortured Dwight Howard all night. Ingles would come down the lane on the pick and roll and Howard was so obsessed with not letting Gobert score (they were in a personal battle) that Ingles would ball fake, nod or look Howard off and Ingles scored time and time again in the paint. Joe has diversified his game tremendously and continues to become a better player. Tonight was his career high 23 points and he had 5 rebounds and 5 assists for a rare 20-5-5 game.
- The Jazz came out with a specific game plan to put Dwight Howard in the pick and roll all night and that is exactly what they did.
- Rudy Gobert was great. The Jazz defense since Gobert returned from injury has been one of the tops in the league and it is stunning how many plays he impacts. Last time the Jazz played the Hornets Kemba Walker took only one shot in the restricted area and tonight he made a layup on the first play of the game and then was absent from the rim for most of the evening.
- Jazz defensive rating tonight was a 99. That means the Hornets were below 1 point per possession.
- The collective confidence and connectedness of the Jazz right now is remarkable. The basketball is gorgeous. They are moving it, sharing it and slicing defenses up. Quin Snyder has talked about the blender all season. Break the seams of the defense, quick out and then repeat if needed and watch what happens to the defense . Eventually it looks like a human playing a twister game and it falls flat.
- 6 Jazz players had 3 assists tonight to symbolize the vast ball movement
- Derrick Favors box score won’t wow you, but he had a terrific game.. He and Rudy Gobert continue to play well together and give the Jazz a look that is very different than what teams are used to in the NBA
- Donovan Mitchell gave the fans some highlights to talk about for weeks to come. His off the bounce three point shooting is still not very good, but he is able to score 25 points a game without that. When he is able to add that, which he will, he is going to be unguardable.
- Ricky Rubio injured his hip and was not able to finish the game.
- Jonas Jerebko had a great game playing Joe Johnson’s minutes with 10 points and 5 rebounds.
- 8 straight
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story