SUMMARY: In a game that was eerily similar to the game Monday night this time the Jazz were able to stem the tide and hold on for a 10 point win.
• The Jazz lead the game by 14 at the exact same moment they lead by 14 on Monday night and then the Pelicans started a run. Instead of 22-2 and a Pelicans win at 12-2 the Jazz got a huge dunk from Rudy Gobert and the Jazz held on for the win.
• The Joe Ingles/Derrick Favors pick and roll continues to be a vital weapon for the Jazz. Tonight the Pelicans second team is really limited and Ingles and Favors throttled them. Joe Ingles finished with 10 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds. He had back to back double digit assist games for the first time in his career. At 6’8 there is a uniqueness to what he can do on the pick and roll. His ball fakes are tremendous, but he is also able to stretch out for shots and/or pass over the top of defenses in a way that player that are traditional point guard sized can’t do.
• The Jazz played a lot of Ingles, O’Neale, Korver, Crowder or Thabo and Favors tonight. Ingles at this point is the undisputed point guard.
• Derrick Favors had his season high 25 points tonight. He has such amazing hands and is able to make so many plays around the rim. He is much better on the pick and roll when he can set the pick and the roll to the basket opening to his right hand and that is why the pick and roll with he and Ingles is so successful.
• Donovan Mitchell bounced back from a poor shooting game on Monday to shot 10 for 18 but he had 8 turnovers
• The Jazz lead after 1 by 2 and then took the lead to 11 by halftime. The Jazz took an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter and then once Anthony Davis checked out for the night then the Pelicans gained energy and made a run.
• The Pelicans got the game down to 4 before the Jazz answered on a 13 to 2 run but that is when things got nerve racking as the game began to mirror the game the on Monday night almost exactly until Rudy Gobert came from the stars for a dunk with 3:41 left to put the Jazz up 9.
• The Jazz started throwing the ball all over the gym in the 4th quarter and Quin brought Ricky Rubio into the game to settle things and he did exactly that. Rubio was +16 on the night for the Jazz. He was 3 for 12 shooting and all 3 were layups. Since coming back from his hamstring injury his shooting percentage has not been very good.
• Rudy Gobert had 22 points and 13 rebounds and was great defending the rim. The Pelicans shot just 22 of 36 at the rim in contrast to the Jazz who were 28 of 34 at the rim.
• Jazz didn’t shoot the three well just 8 of 30. They were just 2 of 9 on corner 3s and Favors made one of them his first since Jan 27th.
• Solid road win by a team trying to get playoff positioning. The next 7 road games are likely to determine where the Jazz finish in the standings. Solid one tonight.
LOCKED ON JAZZ -Facebook Live – Gobert at super max, what does he need to improve and your questions
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider, David Locke, does a live Facebook show with a lot of questions about Rudy Gobert and the super max as well as free agent options. How does the Mike Conley trade happen?
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jae Crowder deep dive and David James joins for more Utah Jazz off-season
Utah Jazz radio voice and Jazz NBA Insider David Locke takes a look at Jae Crowder and his season with the Jazz. Then David James, of 1280 the zone and 97.5 FM joins the show to talk more about the off season and where the Jazz are headed
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Is it Jae Crowder or a stretch 4? David James joins Locke to talk Utah Jazz off-season
The Utah Jazz numbers with Jae Crowder on the floor are awesome. Jae Crowder has the vigor, heart and gumption to lead the Jazz. Is he the reason for those positive numbers or is it simply the Jazz playing a stretch 4? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider takes a look at all the stretch 4 combinations the Jazz have used over the last three years.
Then Locke is joined by morning show host of the Utah Jazz flagship station, 97.5 FM, David James to talk about the Utah Jazz off-season.
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lindsey/Zanik Promotions, Does CJ mean Kemba would work with Donovan and does Harris stay for that role
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Lottery impact on Mike Conley and Jrue Holliday, the Point Guard Shuffle and Derrick Favors contract details
Utah Jazz5 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Tony Jones joins on Kemba or Tobias plus Kyle Korver season in review
Utah Jazz1 week ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live show with questions on free agency, trades and the draft