SUMMARY: In a game that was eerily similar to the game Monday night this time the Jazz were able to stem the tide and hold on for a 10 point win.
• The Jazz lead the game by 14 at the exact same moment they lead by 14 on Monday night and then the Pelicans started a run. Instead of 22-2 and a Pelicans win at 12-2 the Jazz got a huge dunk from Rudy Gobert and the Jazz held on for the win.
• The Joe Ingles/Derrick Favors pick and roll continues to be a vital weapon for the Jazz. Tonight the Pelicans second team is really limited and Ingles and Favors throttled them. Joe Ingles finished with 10 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds. He had back to back double digit assist games for the first time in his career. At 6’8 there is a uniqueness to what he can do on the pick and roll. His ball fakes are tremendous, but he is also able to stretch out for shots and/or pass over the top of defenses in a way that player that are traditional point guard sized can’t do.
• The Jazz played a lot of Ingles, O’Neale, Korver, Crowder or Thabo and Favors tonight. Ingles at this point is the undisputed point guard.
• Derrick Favors had his season high 25 points tonight. He has such amazing hands and is able to make so many plays around the rim. He is much better on the pick and roll when he can set the pick and the roll to the basket opening to his right hand and that is why the pick and roll with he and Ingles is so successful.
• Donovan Mitchell bounced back from a poor shooting game on Monday to shot 10 for 18 but he had 8 turnovers
• The Jazz lead after 1 by 2 and then took the lead to 11 by halftime. The Jazz took an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter and then once Anthony Davis checked out for the night then the Pelicans gained energy and made a run.
• The Pelicans got the game down to 4 before the Jazz answered on a 13 to 2 run but that is when things got nerve racking as the game began to mirror the game the on Monday night almost exactly until Rudy Gobert came from the stars for a dunk with 3:41 left to put the Jazz up 9.
• The Jazz started throwing the ball all over the gym in the 4th quarter and Quin brought Ricky Rubio into the game to settle things and he did exactly that. Rubio was +16 on the night for the Jazz. He was 3 for 12 shooting and all 3 were layups. Since coming back from his hamstring injury his shooting percentage has not been very good.
• Rudy Gobert had 22 points and 13 rebounds and was great defending the rim. The Pelicans shot just 22 of 36 at the rim in contrast to the Jazz who were 28 of 34 at the rim.
• Jazz didn’t shoot the three well just 8 of 30. They were just 2 of 9 on corner 3s and Favors made one of them his first since Jan 27th.
• Solid road win by a team trying to get playoff positioning. The next 7 road games are likely to determine where the Jazz finish in the standings. Solid one tonight.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – The weekend, the NBA plan to return with 22 teams and Time Machine goes to 2000
The weekend was one we won’t forget. David Locke gives some thoughts on what we can all do to make the world a better place. The NBA has the intial return to play model out and Locke takes a look at how it came about and what it does for the league and the Utah Jazz. Then it is Time Machine back to 2000.
Interview with Jerry Sloan from March 1997 and Should the Utah Jazz start Georges Niang
In March of 1997 David Locke, now the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, sat down with Jerry Sloan for a 1 on 1 conversastion. Thanks to the people at Larsen Digital the tape has been converted and today’s episode has the conversation with Jerry. Plus, should the Jazz start Georges Niang in place of Bojan Bogdanovic.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live Show, Venn Diagrams of return to play and your questions on Utah Jazz in playoffs
David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at the Venn Diagrams around return to play with a circle for safety, a circle for revenue and a circle for basketball fairness and the problem is they don’t really intersect. Then Locke takes your questions on a love show.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – The weekend, the NBA plan to return with 22 teams and Time Machine goes to 2000 June 1, 2020
- Interview with Jerry Sloan from March 1997 and Should the Utah Jazz start Georges Niang May 29, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Live Show, Venn Diagrams of return to play and your questions on Utah Jazz in playoffs May 28, 2020
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – 1 on 1 interview with David Locke and Jerry Sloan from Jan 30th 1995 May 27, 2020
- RIP Jerry Sloan, NBA return to play plan forming but with questions and Utah Jazz Time Machine to 1990 May 26, 2020
Utah Jazz6 days ago
RIP Jerry Sloan, NBA return to play plan forming but with questions and Utah Jazz Time Machine to 1990
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – MLB plan is amazing, Last Dance brings back 22 year old pain and What If AK had become the player we thought
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Bojan has season ending surgery, Walt Perrin leaves for the New York Knicks
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – What If on Utah Jazz draft picks from 2000 to 2008 plus latest on return to play