SUMMARY: In a game that was eerily similar to the game Monday night this time the Jazz were able to stem the tide and hold on for a 10 point win.
• The Jazz lead the game by 14 at the exact same moment they lead by 14 on Monday night and then the Pelicans started a run. Instead of 22-2 and a Pelicans win at 12-2 the Jazz got a huge dunk from Rudy Gobert and the Jazz held on for the win.
• The Joe Ingles/Derrick Favors pick and roll continues to be a vital weapon for the Jazz. Tonight the Pelicans second team is really limited and Ingles and Favors throttled them. Joe Ingles finished with 10 points, 10 assists and 8 rebounds. He had back to back double digit assist games for the first time in his career. At 6’8 there is a uniqueness to what he can do on the pick and roll. His ball fakes are tremendous, but he is also able to stretch out for shots and/or pass over the top of defenses in a way that player that are traditional point guard sized can’t do.
• The Jazz played a lot of Ingles, O’Neale, Korver, Crowder or Thabo and Favors tonight. Ingles at this point is the undisputed point guard.
• Derrick Favors had his season high 25 points tonight. He has such amazing hands and is able to make so many plays around the rim. He is much better on the pick and roll when he can set the pick and the roll to the basket opening to his right hand and that is why the pick and roll with he and Ingles is so successful.
• Donovan Mitchell bounced back from a poor shooting game on Monday to shot 10 for 18 but he had 8 turnovers
• The Jazz lead after 1 by 2 and then took the lead to 11 by halftime. The Jazz took an 18 point lead in the 3rd quarter and then once Anthony Davis checked out for the night then the Pelicans gained energy and made a run.
• The Pelicans got the game down to 4 before the Jazz answered on a 13 to 2 run but that is when things got nerve racking as the game began to mirror the game the on Monday night almost exactly until Rudy Gobert came from the stars for a dunk with 3:41 left to put the Jazz up 9.
• The Jazz started throwing the ball all over the gym in the 4th quarter and Quin brought Ricky Rubio into the game to settle things and he did exactly that. Rubio was +16 on the night for the Jazz. He was 3 for 12 shooting and all 3 were layups. Since coming back from his hamstring injury his shooting percentage has not been very good.
• Rudy Gobert had 22 points and 13 rebounds and was great defending the rim. The Pelicans shot just 22 of 36 at the rim in contrast to the Jazz who were 28 of 34 at the rim.
• Jazz didn’t shoot the three well just 8 of 30. They were just 2 of 9 on corner 3s and Favors made one of them his first since Jan 27th.
• Solid road win by a team trying to get playoff positioning. The next 7 road games are likely to determine where the Jazz finish in the standings. Solid one tonight.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story