EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: The Jazz 9 game win streak comes to an end at the hands of a great defensive plan and an unstoppable Dennis Schroder
- The Jazz finally blinked. They hadn’t had a misstep since they were last time they were in Atlanta and it might not be a coincidence. The Hawks play the Jazz differently than anyone else. The two teams play very similar system and the Hawks were very comfortable defending the Jazz.
- The Hawks drop their big super deep into the top of the restricted area and as it did last time the Jazz played Atlanta it caused the Jazz a great deal of difficulty. The pick and roll game to Gobert was not something the Jazz could get going. Early in the game they forced Ricky Rubio into a lot of shots and he held his own and kept the Jazz in the game.
- Last time the Jazz played the Hawks they took a season low three point attempts and tonight they shot a season low 3 pt % going 6 of 34. The Jazz made 4 of their first 8 threes and then made just 2 of their last 26 from three.
- Dennis Schroder owned the game. He had a career high 41 points. He had 17 in the 4th quarter and made 7 of 10 shots in the 4th They ran pick and rolls to get him switched on Ingles, Crowder and others and he was able to blow by them and get to the basket. On the biggest one of the night he floated it over the outstretched arms of Rudy Gobert.
- The Jazz are the first team in this playoff race 3-10 to lost a game with over a 80% win probability. The previous 18 had all been won by the favorite. This is a significant loss for the Jazz. With 11 games left it is hard to get these back. It has to be a game where the Jazz are expected to lose and they surprise with a win and their aren’t many of those on the schedule.
- The Jazz were in positon to win it but Joe Ingles had two great look threes that didn’t fall. He made two huge threes in overtime to start the winning ways in Detroit and they can’t all fall but these two both would have swung the game. Rudy Gobert outworked three Atlanta Hawks players for an offensive rebound and threw it out to Ingles for a wide open three with :29 seconds left trailing by 2. The guy who seems to have made everything for two months missed. Then Quin Snyder drew up a gorgeous out of bounds play and go Ingles a wide open three from his sweet spot for the tie. It missed. Tough shot with his body moving at full speed but again it is a shot that Joe seems to make every time.
- The Jazz played the Hawks for 96 minutes this year and never had their usual flow. I wonder if it is because the two teams are so similar and so the Hawks go up against themselves in practice every day and playing the Jazz feels similar. The Jazz play a different style and are a major adjustment for teams and tonight the opponent didn’t have to adjust.
- The Jazz had been the 2nd best 4th quarter team and 3rd best defense in the clutch before tonight. Schroder ended that.
- Donovan Mitchell is struggling with his long-range shot. He is 2 of his last 18 in the last 2 games. He is around 25% for his last 11 games. His above the break 3 and his off the bounce three have dropped under 30%. He is carrying a mammoth load and a load that is unprecedented for a rookie. When we see these notes that only one rookie since Tim Duncan has scored 20 points and won over 40 games and that only 6 rookies have lead their team in scoring and won over 40 games since Larry Bird we need to realize what is being asked of Donovan. I actually thought he made some nice adjustments to his game with some stop and pops late in the 4th. He is still learning and he is playing his 68th game of the year nearly double his college load.
- The Hawks disrupt the Jazz. They are what I would anticipate a playoff scouting report to look like against the Jazz. This was not a lack of effort or lack of concentration or taking a team lightly this was just getting knocked out of your flow and never regaining it. The Jazz never looked comfortable tonight.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022