SUMMARY: Disastrous shooting night overwhelms Jazz in loss to the Sixers 104-97.
• Unlike the last two losses tonight’s issue was not the defense, it was offense. The Jazz had a tough offensive night from the beginning and never got going. There was a brief spurt when the Sixers cleared their bench letting Jahill Okafor and Nik Stauskas play and the Jazz got the game back to even, but the Jazz were never able to get a rhythm.
• The Jazz were off all night. They had mental breakdowns both offensive and defensively that are not something we are accustomed to seeing from this team. Cross-court passes in the back-court that are intercepted and become slam dunks. Inbound pass to the from the right wing to the midcourt that is easily intercepted for a fast break dunk. Letting guys get back door or not covering some basic slip plays that lead to dunks.
• The defense was pretty good most of the night, but it was a victim of breakdowns like the aforementioned plays. There was also a Redick wide open three in transition or a wide open Saric off an inbound pass.
• Re-watching this game I will be really curious to see if it was everyone or one player that wasn’t engaged in the game.
• The Jazz shooting was dreadful. In order of shot attempts, Mitchell was 3 for 21, Rubio was 4 of 16, Ingles 6 for 16 and Hood 4 for 14
• A troubling note is the shooting percentage for the season for our leading shot takers are the following – Mitchell 34.4%; Hood 39.1%; Rubio 39.1% and from three-point range they are the following Hood 37.7% (which is good), Mitchell 31.7% and Rubio is 29.8%.
• Ricky Rubio was 0 for 5 from three and is 1 for his last 14 from three.
• Mitchell’s 3 for 21 night is a rarity. He is just the 33rd player since 1983 to make 3 or fewer field goals with 20 or more attempts. He is just one of 5 players to do it taking 1 or fewer free throws. The list of players who has done it is some of the best names in the NBA. It happens.
• I didn’t think the shots by Hood, Mitchell or Rubio were out of the natural offense. They took the shots the defense gave them they just didn’t convert. In fact, Rodney Hood had 10 free throw attempts tonight which was a career high.
• Joe Ingles was 6 for 16 and I thought he tried to go outside of his usual game to help the team, but it is asking a lot for him to play in that fashion.
• Gobert is not getting the rolls to the basket because the defense is collapsing in the paint and he can’t even get to the rim. There was a play in the 2nd quarter where Rubio threw a perfect pass to Gobert on a pick and roll and he was 8 feet away with 4 people between him and the rim.
• Thabo Sefolosha plays so hard every night and makes so many good plays. He is great cutter off the ball.
• It is only the 4th time the Jazz have ever shot 30.3% or below and shot 23.1% or below from 3. 200 v. Lakers and 2005 v. Knicks.
• Collectively poor night. The offense is going to be a season-long tussle. It is good the defense stay strong for the most part.
JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz
The Jazz fell short in the second half as the Toronto defense shut the new-look Jazz down in route to cruising to an 114 – 82 Raptors victory. Lauri Markkanen shined for the Jazz with 20 points and 5 rebounds but the Raptors length and athleticism proved to be too much for the Jazz riding a dominant 3rd quarter to pull away from the Jazz who played well in the first half, only trailing by one.
Relive the game through the radio highlights. Voiced by Leif Thulin.
Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now
The Utah Jazz traded Rudy Gobert on Friday after a 4th of July weekend to soak in the biggest news of the NBA trade season we try to digest what it means for the Utah Jazz. David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, take a look at all angles of the Rudy Gobert trade. The emotions of losing one of your own and a beloved player like Rudy Gobert. The player that we knew how great he was and had to argue on his behalf and now someone else gets the pleasure. Locke revisits the decision making tree of the Utah Jazz and how they got to trading Rudy Gobert and why they took this trade rather than other options that may have been on the table for the Utah Jazz. Then Locke looks into what did we really get in this trade and what are the possibilities of benefit for trading one of the great players in franchise history. A look at each of the 5 first round picks and what they could become and the margin starts to expand the farther out you go. Then are the Utah Jazz re-building? Why now would be the question. That is a decision that the Jazz don’t need to make for the some time. Summer league kicks off today and what are the Utah Jazz looking for and who could make an impression. What the Jazz want to see from Jared Butler Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz
NBA Free Agency is day is here for the Utah Jazz. What can we expect to take place? Will the Utah Jazz make a trade? Is this the day Rudy Gobert or Mike Conley or Donovan Mitchell gets traded? Do the Jazz have a free agency move to be made? David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA insider take a look at all of these questions and gives you the free agency primer. Is the market drying up on the Utah Jazz? The Clippers and Wizards have already made moves and the Atlanta Hawks have used their draft capital. Rumors continue with Rudy Gobert at the forefront and we take a look at what those deals might be for the Utah Jazz and what would have to be included to make a deal happen. Then a look at the Utah Jazz options at the tax payer mid level contractsand what the Jazz current roster looks like and what could take place. Locked On Jazz Podcast 💻 https://www.lockedonjazz.net/ 🎧 LockedOnJazz.com https://buff.ly/2FEZTVY 🎧 Apple https://apple.co/3Dc8QBq 🎧 Spotify https://spoti.fi/3IfvgVX 🎧Stitcher https://bit.ly/3pkGyzB 🎧 Google https://bit.ly/3I8TwJz
- JAZZ GAME REWIND: 2nd Half propels Toronto past the youthful Jazz October 2, 2022
- Utah Jazz trade Rudy Gobert – the emotions, the decision making, what did we get and what now July 5, 2022
- NBA Free Agency is here for the Utah Jazz June 30, 2022
- New Utah Jazz Head Coach Will Hardy: What formed him, what influences, style of play and staff June 29, 2022
- Utah Jazz free agency decision making tree, the case for Johnnie Bryant and NBA Menus June 28, 2022