SUMMARY: In Mexico City the Jazz and the Magic played an ugly missed shot turnover laden game where the Magic made more plays and beat the Jazz.
- I decided to go re-watch the three worst portions of the game before writing this so I could make sure what I felt was accurate. I am glad I did. I saw somethings very differently than when it happened live.
- The first segment I watched was the final 5:49 of the 1st In this span the Jazz missed 8 straight shots and turned it over 4 times. The first four shots the Jazz missed were wide open corner 3s for Donovan Mitchell, a wide open mid range jumper for Ricky Rubio and a wide open three for Jae Crowder. Then they just continued to miss shots. Korver missed shots. Dante came in for Ricky and played off the ball and the floor spacing wasn’t great but the offense got looks and missed shot after shot after shot. It was crazy to watch.
- The third quarter when the offense disappeared was the same story. Holy smokes were guys open. We are not talking sort of open. I am talking as open as any player I have seen in 25 years in the league open and missed shots. Wide open threes only go in about 36% of the time but this was absurd. Guys had looks where opposing players were still in the key and the Jazz player was outside the three point line. It was stunning.
- I don’t know what is to be done about this. These shots are crazy open. The easy answer is they should drive to the basket but according to cleaningtheglass the Jazz were 12 of 31 at the rim tonight. And were 9 of 27 on all non restricted area 2s.
- Joe Ingles got wide open shots, Kyle Korver got wide open shots. Everyone missed.
- The Jazz missed all 13 shots out of the paint on the right side of the floor
- The defense for the first three quarters was great. They forced turnovers and they were very active. The played with force. Nikola Vucevic wanted no part of attacking Rudy Gobert.
- Then all of sudden in the 4th quarter the Magic started scoring and scoring almost everytime down the floor. They scored on 12 of their first 14 possessions of the 4th What surprised me when I went back and watched is the Jazz played pretty good defense for most of this stretch. Terrance Ross hit shots that were contested. They made contested shots and the Jazz missed open shots.
- The Jazz guards got left a bit too far behind on the pick and roll action when they were trailing the ball handler. This allowed Augustin and Fornier to get some room in the lane.
- The Jazz in ability to have an advantage at the point guard position tonight was a significant portion of this game. Most nights the Magic are at a significant disadvantage at the point guard position with DJ Augustin. Tonight they was not the case
- The Jazz bench had a tough night.
- The Jazz EFG% was 35.4 it might be impossible to win with that as an EFG. Ok it is not impossible only the last 49 teams that have done it lost. The last team to win was Jan 24th 2015.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Rinse and Repeat Jazz dominate on defense
The Utah Jazz went into the Nation’s Capitol and blasted the Washington Wizards. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, breaks down another brilliant defensive performance and looks at how bad the Wizards defense was to see what makes the Utah Jazz unique.
It is a Time Machine Tuesday as well as the Jazz play the LeBron Cavs and Baron’s Warriors
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Defense is rolling, weekend in review and Bradley Beal breakdown
The Utah Jazz took care of business this weekend and now head out on a crucial east coast road trip. David Locke, the radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, takes a look at the playoff picture and how it is all playing out plus the Jazz stellar defense against the Brooklyn Nets.
Then Locke breaks down Bradley Beal and how the Jazz have to defend him and what it takes to deal with him. Most importantly, how can Rudy Gobert impact his game.
POSTCAST – Locke and Boone after blow out win and look to the road trip
Utah Jazz radio team post game show after the Utah Jazz blow out the Brooklyn Nets
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Felt the same till Rudy Gobert came out of the sky
Utah Jazz6 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – It is our responsibility now
Utah Jazz5 days ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – No one wins when respect goes away
Utah Jazz3 days ago
EMPTYING THE NOGGIN – Jazz dominate Nets from early run to the finish