EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
Summary: The Utah Jazz put a complete 48 minutes of near perfect concentration to blow out the Golden State Warriors by 30 while playing in the new City uniforms.
- The message from the Jazz coaching staff all morning was it will take 48 minutes. Last time the two teams played the Jazz gave a solid 24 minutes before the Warriors blew them out by 20. Tonight it didn’t take 48 minutes because the Jazz were ahead by enough that the Warriors waved the white flag with more than 6 minutes to play.
- The Jazz had been struggling offensive recently and been carried by the defense. Tonight the Offense went nuts early and never stopped. The Jazz outscored the Warriors 15-0 from behind the three point line in the 1st Lead by Joe Ingles three 3 pointers. Joe Ingles set the tone for the night and went on to hit 6 three pointers, a new career high. Kevin Durant went under picks early leaving Ingles open for no apparent reason.
- The Jazz scored 35 in the 1st quarter, 34 in the 2nd quarter and 34 in the third quarter for 103 points in the 3rd quarter, the 2nd highest total of the season. Jazz 56% FG was the highest allowed by the Warriors in the Steve Kerr era and the Jazz hit on 14 of 28 from three.
- Donovan Mitchell got three fouls in the 1st quarter and without Rodney Hood it seemed as though his loss would be significant but the combined work of Royce O’Neale and Alec Burks was terrific. What O’Neale has brought to the Jazz with his defensive presence, strong offensive attacks and solid ball handling can’t be underestimated. Alec Burks has in a horrific shooting slump and has worked out of it playing smart controlled basketball.
- Ricky Rubio had one of the best nights of his career. He went for 20 points, 5 rebounds and 10 assists for the third time in his career (23 points, 5 rebounds and 11 assists). He was very aggressive driving to the basket. The key to Rubio’s game is his ability to make layups. He was able to get to the rim and finish tonight and the few times he didn’t it was scooped up by Favors or Gobert for a follow.
- The Jazz defense was great. It was the Warriors 6th worst offensive night of the year. Since Gobert has come back the Jazz have the best defense in the NBA. He is that much of a difference maker.
- The Warriors ran one of the most gorgeous plays you can see. Durant came off a curl on the right side and got the pass from Green who was straight away above the circle and the Jazz defended it perfectly. So Durant swung it back to Green and then Curry came off a curl on the left side but as he came off the Thompson pick, Thompson slipped to the basket, Curry immediately passed it to Thompson who seemed to be on his way for a gorgeous layup. Instead he ran into Gobert. Then he faded back for a baseline jumper and missed. It is the power of Rudy.
- Derrick Favors was superb tonight as well with 18 points and 10 rebounds. He made 9 of his 11 shots.
- Donovan had a great third quarter with 12 points while being guarded by Klay Thompson
- All around brilliant performance from the Jazz who have won 4 of 5 and 5 of 7. Rudy Gobert matters.
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday
The Utah Jazz used offensive rebounding to beat the Orlando Magic. The increase in offensive rebounding is a league wide trend due to analytics. Mike Conley and Derrick Favors had interesting comments about playing in Utah in the Athletic article. It is a trend Monday as well.
Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show
If you missed tonight action, I’ll get you caught up in this edition of Jazz Game Rewind! The Utah Jazz struggled in the 1st half, but found their groove in the 2nd, as Donovan Mitchell dropped 25 second half points to lead Utah to a 124-109 victory
POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic
David Locke hosts POSTCAST after each Jazz game tonight the Jazz beat the Magic with thrid quarter surge and Donovan Mitchell commanding 2nd half play.
- LOCKED ON JAZZ – Value of Offensive Rebounding, Conley and Favors on playing in Utah, Trend Monday March 1, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Orlando falls to Donovan’s 2nd half magic show February 27, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz are practically perfect in every way v. Magic February 27, 2021
- Quin Snyder Coaches Show – Jazz @ Magic February 27, 2021
- JAZZ GAME REWIND- The Heat Get The Best Of The Jazz The Second Time Around February 26, 2021
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Did Clippers write defensive script? Can Rudy Gobert be more dominant? Cord cutting and buy out market for the Utah Jazz
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Dwayne Wade has Donovan Mitchell as All-Star Starter, Previewing the Clippers, Quin Snyder Wednesday
Utah Jazz2 weeks ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – Jordan Clarkson’s vibe and history, Donovan Mitchell’s pass is the fabric of the team
Utah Jazz4 days ago
LOCKED ON JAZZ – More record setting v. Los Angeles Lakers. Utah Jazz shot clock use tells a story