EMPTYING THE NOGGIN
SUMMARY: The Oklahoma City Thunder sweep the season series from the Utah Jazz with a 98-89 win and move 3 games in the loss colulm plus the tiebreaker ahead of the Jazz in the standings.
• The Jazz defense was terrific tonight. The defense was every bit good enough to win the game and beat almost any team in the league. However, the offense couldn’t get going at all.
• The Jazz missed a ton of threes in the first half and overall or the night just 13 of 43. The Jazz were 2 of 10 in the first quarter and 3 of 14 in the 2nd quarter and trailed by 13 at the half.
• The Thunder is not a team you can come from behind against. They are 22-1 when they lead by 15 in the 3rd quarter and 34-0 when they lead by 10 in the 4th quarter
• The Jazz really missed Ricky Rubio tonight. In the three previous games v. the Thunder Ricky Rubio had run 126 pick and rolls and the Jazz averaged 1.25 pts per pick and roll. In the 67 picks Donovan Mitchell has run v the Thunder prior to tonight was .55 and Joe Ingles in 43 picks and the Jazz averaged .825 pts per point and roll.
• The Jazz pick and roll numbers tonight could not have been good. I will be really interesting to see what they are but it didn’t feel like they were very good. The other thing that has happened over the last three games is that the Joe Ingles/Derrick Favors has disappeared. This league is incredible in its scouting and the Jazz were killing people with that combination but New Orleans denied it in the second match-up, Memphis stopped it and against OKC it yielded nothing. I would also guess the Jazz shot quality was really good tonight they just didn’t make them
• The Thunder bring two defenders to the ball and suck in on the roll man. If you skip the ball and move it then you get good look threes. In the 2nd quarter the Jazz took 11 straight shots from threes and I am pretty certain if we went back to watch all of them they were good shots. However, the Jazz made just 2 of the 11. Sometimes this is as simple as a make or miss league.
• Huge sequence in the third quarter when Jae Crowder broke at the 45 for a wide open layup but missed it and Dennis Schroeder took it the other way for a layup and a game that should have been a 4 point game with a raucous building became an 8 point game.
• The Jazz defensive plan was to get the ball out of Paul George’s hands and make the other guys make plays. Paul George 2 for 8 and the Jazz were able to slow down the Thunder offense.
• I talked with Billy Donovan before the game and he talked about how much better the offense has been but shots had not been falling. Tonight they got a boost from Dennis Schroeder who had been in a miserable slump as he went 10 for 18 after shooting 32% over the last 10 games.
• Bottom line the Thunder swept the series from the Jazz and now lead by 3 in the loss colulm with the tiebreaker. It is beginning to get hard to image how the Jazz catch the Rockets, winners of 9 straight, the Blazers, winners of 7 of 10 and the Thunder and that leaves the Jazz with a ceiling of the 6th seed. One spot higher than they sit now with the Clippers in 6th
QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Pregame prior to Utah @ OKC
David Locke chats with Jazz head coach Quin Snyder prior to tip against OKC.
Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider delivers the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz.
* The wackiness in the West and how it all stands as we head into the final weekend
- Mike Conley returns and the great season he has had for the Utah Jazz
- The lineups we get back with Mike Conley
- the pick and roll returns with Rudy Gobert
- Points Gained for the final time of the year. Who is the best offensive player in the NBA?
- How are the Jazz players the same or different than a year ago
Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience
David Locke, radio voice of the Utah Jazz and Jazz NBA Insider, brings you the daily podcast on the Utah Jazz, Locked On Jazz
- Blazers had a great game plan v. the Utah Jazz
- Jazz are amazing to have stayed above water without Donovan and Mike
- However, Jazz are wearing out and a lot is being asked of Joe Ingles and Jordan Clarkson
- Warriors and Blazers were playing playoff games and it showed
- Biggest concern on the Jazz
- Completely freaking out.
- QUIN SNYDER COACHES SHOW- Pregame prior to Utah @ OKC May 14, 2021
- Wackiness in the West, reminder on how good Mike Conley has been and who is the best offensive player in the NBA May 14, 2021
- Staying above water has been amazing but Jazz are running out of steam and live audience May 13, 2021
- Jazz Game Rewind – Jazz offense sluggish as they fall to Blazers May 13, 2021
- POSTCAST – Jazz offense wears down and Dame and CJ have the answers May 13, 2021
Utah Jazz7 days ago
POSTCAST – Utah Jazz get massive win over Denver Nuggets and bodacious performance from Bojan
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Bojan Bogdanovic taking advantage, Quin figuring this group out, shot charts
Utah Jazz1 week ago
What former Utah Jazz player not named Stockton or Malone would you put on this Jazz team?
Utah Jazz1 week ago
Length has been impressive defensively, transition defense improvement, live edition